Posted: 08/05/2005 1:55 PM
Crates, when used correctly, are an essential tool for having a happy dog. Crates are like the dog's own room or safe place. Since dogs donât like to soil where they sleep, crates can be a very effective tool for housetraining! Even after he is housetrained you can keep the crate around for your dog to use.
- Start gradually by giving him his favorite toy or treat in his crate.
- Don't just put him in, shut the door and leave.
- Leave the gate open all day so he can go in and out as he wants.
- The crate should be big enough for your dog to stand up, turn around and lay down easily. You may even want to take your dog with you when shopping for a crate to get the right size.
- Make the crate inviting with blankets or soft cushions.
- Practice by shutting the gate and staying where your dog can see you.